Last Updated on December 26, 2016 by Aminul Haque Shahin
Bangladesh is an agriculture-driven culture. Almost 90% of Bangladesh’s population depends on agriculture sector either actively or passively. The largest segment occupying Bangladesh’s GDP is developed from agro-based economy. So, Bangladesh agriculture must deserve priority.
The Bangladesh Government has employed many initiatives to ameliorate agriculture since independence. But, the necessity for a full-fledged agriculture bank was deeply observed.
So, the Government decided to establish a bank beside of other govt banks of Bangladesh that would solely support and nourish agriculture and finance people involved with agriculture. Eventually Bangladesh Krishi Bank was founded in 1973. Now it is the largest specialized bank of Bangladesh.
Objectives of Bangladesh Krishi Bank (BKB)
From the outset, Bangladesh Krishi Bank focused on serving farmers and agriculture industry. The bank was developed in a way that could help nourish and develop the agriculture and all other related economic activities of rural Bangladesh.
So, according to the bank’s mandates, it has been supporting the growth of poultry, fisheries, livestock, cottage and many other industries.
Accomplishment of BKB
Bangladesh Krishi Bank has been providing credits to small businesses and farming entities and supporting the rural development for decades. With the active financial support of Bangladesh Krishi Bank, the impoverished areas of Bangladesh achieved significant growth. Now the bank has generated a strong, nationwide network of 972 branches.
Credit Programs/Loan Disbursement of Krishi Bank
Loan disbursement can be regarded as the main activity of the bank. Bangladesh Krishi Bank has firm objectives to ensure harmonious growth in every layer of agricultural sector. That’s why, the bank introduced several schemes for agriculture and rural economies.
The bank identifies seven sectors and determines their importance for loan disbursement according to labor intensity and potentiality. These seven sectors are determined with the intent of modernization, diversification and development of agricultural sectors, therefore promoting the standard of living of the rural people. And, these seven sectors are:
- Crop – the most important sector in Bangladesh agriculture is crop. And, it receives 60% of total loan allocation of Bangladesh Krishi Bank. The bank enforces its highest priority on crop production.
- Fisheries – Bangladesh Krishi Banks wants to speed up fish production due to fishes being an excellent exporting product and also the prime source of protein for Bangladeshis. The bank disburses loans for excavation or re-excavation of small water sources like ponds, development of marshy lands, and hatcheries.
- Live Stock Loan – Bangladesh Krishi Bank has special loans designed for supporting the rearing of domestic animals like cows, bullocks, goats, etc. Livestock products, such as: leather, fur and bones are lucrative products to export and earn foreign currency.
- Farm Machinery & Agro-Based Industry – in order to achieve desired production and keep pace with the ever-increasing demand, traditional agricultural equipments are in need of replacements. Now farmers need mechanized tools and equipments to promote rapid growth of agricultural products. Bangladesh Krishi Bank offers credit facilities for purchase of irrigation equipment, poultry farm equipment, food processing, preservation tools and equipments.
- SME – SME occupies an important part of our economy. And, the bank places an emphasis on supporting this sector. Major segments of the sector that could be eligible for loans are:
- Electrical and electronics
- Light engineering
- Agro based all fields
- Leather and leather goods
- Plastic and synthetics
- Fashion goods
Deposit Operational Accounts
Bangladesh Krishi Bank offers some well-designed Deposit Operational Accounts. These Accounts are designed on flexible terms. They are:
BKB Savings Account
Minimum Age: 18 years
Citizen of Bangladesh
Minor account can be opened under the supervision of their guardian.
Service is offered very quick & easy processing.
Interest for the Account is payable on Yearly basis.
Urban – 4%
Rural – 5%
Three withdrawals per week from the account are permissible.
Q-cash Debit card and 24 hour free access to ATMs is available.
Account holder can withdraw upto 20,000/- in a day from any ATM Booths within Bangladesh.
Document Required for opening a Savings Bank Account
Duly filled Account Opening Form.
Two passport sized copies of the applicant’s recent photograph duly attested by an introducer who must have an account in any Branch of BKB.
Attested copy of Valid NID/Bangladesh
Passport/ Driving License of the applicant.
One copy Photograph of Nominee.
An initial deposit of Tk. 1000/- is required for opening an A/c.
Minimum balance of Tk. 1000/- to be maintained in the A/c.
All required information as per terms mentioned in the Account Opening Form.
Learn about more accounts – www.krishibank.org.bd/core-business/deposit-operational-accounts/
Contact of Bangladesh Krishi Bank
Bangladesh Krishi Bank
Krishi Bank Bhaban
83-85 Motijheel Commercial Area
Dhaka – 1000, Bangladesh
Hunting Number: (+88 02) 956 0021
FAX: (+88 02) 956 1211