A student has to go through many ordeals, hurdle many obstacles to earn his/her school, college degrees. However, not every student can be able to complete their program successfully. Some lag behind the rest due to personal issues, unprecedented events, or some other hindrance and skip their valuable school year.
In modern times, in order to be established or to hold a high-tier job, one has to stuff his/her student life with degrees. So, the necessity of providing special education is deeply felt. A specialized form of education, which could help the students falling behind move forward. That’s when the concept of Open University arises for the students who are not privileged to get admitted on any Public University or Private Universities of Bangladesh.
Just like many other countries in the world, Bangladesh also has an Open University. The Bangladesh Open University helped thousands of students restart their precious student life and earn honorable degrees no matter how old they are.
The Open University in Bangladesh also offers high-quality education for students who cannot always be present an institution. The Bangladesh Open University widens such students’ access to the higher standards of education through a variety of distance-learning methods.
Jump To The Right Section
BOU History, Accomplishment & Objectives
The Bangladesh Open University (BOU) is the 7th largest university in the world as per enrollment. It was founded on October 21, 1992. It is the only public university in Bangladesh to offer distance learning education. Upon being liberated in 1971, the education of the masses was regarded as a priority. As a result, BOU came into being following the BOU Act sanctioned in 1992.
The Bangladesh Open University utilizes any form of communication technology, be it via general or scientific method to promote education. BOU mandates democratization of education and offering educational opportunities in order to create a class of competent and skilled people.
Academics of Open University
BOU initiated two types of programmes, formal and non-formal. These two forms consider both the pupils who want to achieve traditional academic qualifications and the pupils who want to earn basic education on health, science, environment, agriculture, food, nutrition and other sections of knowledge for human development.
BOU delivers education currently in six schools. Moreover, a network of 12 regional resource centers, 80 coordinating offices and 1,000 tutorial centers nationwide are engaged in delivering quality education.
BOU also offers Diploma degrees on various disciplines, such as: Computer Application, Agriculture & Livestock Science and Management etc.
Schools & Admission Programs of Bangladesh Open University
The education provided by BOU is disbursed into six specialized schools. And, these schools are:
- Open School
- School of Agriculture & Rural Development
- School of Education
- School of Business
- School of Social Science, Humanities & Languages
- School of Science & Technology
Let’s find out which educational programmes these schools offer and when is the potential period to publish admission notices for enrollment in those programs.
|Name of the Schools||Formal Academic Programmes||Non-Formal Programmes||Potential Admission-Notice Publication Period|
|Open School||1. Secondary School Certificate (SSC)|
2. Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
3. Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS)
4. SSC & HSC for Army, Navy & Air Force (Niche)
|SSC – July/August|
HSC – July/August
|School of Agricultural & Rural Development||1. Bachelor of Agricultural Education (B. Ag. Ed) |
2. Diploma in Youth Development Work (DYDW)
3. Certificate in Livestock & Poultry (CLP)
4. Certificate in Pisciculture & Fish Processing (CPFP)
|B. Ag. Ed – May/June & November/December|
DYDW – May/June & November/December
CLP – May/June & November/December
CPFP – May/June & November/December
|School of Education||1. Master of Education (MEd) |
2. Bachelor of Education (BEd)
3. Certificate in Education (CEd)
Maternity and Child Care
|1. MEd – April/May|
2. BEd – November/December
|School of Business||1. Certificate in Management|
2. Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
3. Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
4. Master of Business Administration (MBA)
5. Commonwealth Executive Master of Public Administration (CEMPA)
6. Evening MBA
|1. BBA – April-May|
2. Evening MBA – March/April & October/November
|School of Social Science, Humanities and Language||1. Master of Arts (MA) |
2. Master of Social Science (MSS)
3. Bachelor of Arts (BA) (2 years)
4. Bachelor of Arts (BA) (4 years Honor’s)
5. Bachelor of Social Science (BSS) (2 years)
6. Bachelor of Social Science (BSS) (4 years)
7. Bachelor of Law (LLB 4 years Honor’s)
8. LLB (2 years)
9. Bachelor of English Language Teaching (BELT)
10. Certificate in Arabic Language Proficiency (CALP)
11. Certificate in English Language Proficiency (CELP)
12. Certificate in Chinese Language Proficiency (CCLP)
|1. MA & MSS – October/November|
2. LLB (2 years evening) – December/January
3. BSS & LLB (Honor’s) – October/November
4. BSS – September/October
5. BELT – June/July
6. CALP – May/June & November/December
7. CELP – May/June & November/December
|School of Science & Technology||1. Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) (Honor’s)|
2. Diploma in Computer Science & Application (DCSA)
|Health & Nutrition|
|1. CSE – November/December|
2. DCSA – December
Contacts of BOU
Prof. Dr. Abul Hossain Ahmed Bhuiyan
Registrar (additional Charge)
Bangladesh Open University
Board Bazar, Gazipur-1705, Bangladesh
Phone: 88-02-9291112, 88-02-9291101-4/211
If you have landed on this page for seeking the right information about Bangladesh Open University; hope you got the help already. In case, if you need any more specific information about BOU that have not yet been mentioned here; please let us know via comments.
Share this article with your friends so that they get all the necessary Open University information in a single article.