How to Write a General Diary (GD) to Bangladesh Police

Last Updated on February 25, 2017 by Aminul Haque Shahin

Life is a constant struggle. Everyday life involves performing jobs, doing chores, buying consumer products, merchandising, attending class, etc. Throughout our hectic lifestyle, the hindrance is bound to appear.

Hindrance can stem from our limitations or external forces. These external forces, sometimes, bring unprecedented suffering to our lives — forces that are meant to harm us, slander us or strip us of our precious belongings. Then, we have to initiate actions.

As a law-abiding citizen, you can’t take matters into your own hand to combat such forces. What you can do is take the shelter the law provides and help them as much as possible to receive justice for yourself.

The first step to trying to resolve an issue is to file a complaint formally to your local law-enforcing agency. If you delay filing a complaint, characters can go out of their way to exacerbate the issue.

In Bangladesh, filing a complaint is known as filing a General Diary (GD). And, today I’m going to show how to write and file a General Diary to the Bangladesh Police.

How to Write a GD to Bangladesh Police

The good news is you can file a GD to the Bangladesh Police online if you are residing in Dhaka. The Bangladesh Police initiated a project called Citizens Help Request (CHR) to render lawful services to the Dhakaians for “non-emergency”, mild offenses. Simply go to and fill out the form to file a GD to the Dhaka Metropolitan Police. But, for serious offenses, you will have to go to your local police station in person.

The “non-emergency”, mild offenses CHR considers are as follows:

  • Eve-teasing
  • Snatching
  • Loss/theft of certificates, ID card, valuable documents, etc.
  • Expatriate issues and complaints
  • Information about new/old tenants
  • Congregations that could hamper the harmony of your local community

But, what if you are living outside Dhaka. How would you lodge the complaint? Follow the procedures listed below:

  • Step 01 – write an application addressing the Officer in Charge (OC). Simply write the application in usual format; containing Subject, the Address of the Police Station, a concise and elaborate description of the incident or reason for your GD. Also, include the nature of the incident, how long it has been occurring for and why you think it should be dealt with lawfully. Don’t forget to add your full name, permanent/current address.
  • Step 02 – go to the police station where the incident or matter of interest occurred. The jurisdiction of the police station is important.
  • Step 03 – find an officer on duty and informs him/her of the reason for your arrival. Hand him/her the application you wrote. The officer will tag your application with a GD number and put his/her signature on your application.

The officer on duty should now assure you that the police will investigate the case whether it requires legislative actions.

If your complaint is rejected by the officer on duty/Officer-in-Charge, you can inform the Assistant Commissioner of Police for any failure to take an action.