Last Updated on January 9, 2017 by Aminul Haque Shahin
Jump To The Right Section
A birth certificate contains vital information that records the birth of a child. Your birth certificate is your legal record that certifies who you are and where you were born. The term “birth certificate” can either be a document verifying the statuses of the birth or be a certified copy attesting the registration process of that birth.
Birth Registration History in Bangladesh
The Government of Bangladesh initiated a project in 2001 with the sole objectives of registering birth and death events. The United Nations’ programme, UNICEF, actively supported the initiative. As the initiative was developing, the Government revoked Birth & Death Registration Act 1873 and the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1886.
Following Birth and Death Registration Act of 2004, the Government introduced new Birth & Death Registration rules in 2006. As part of the digitalization process of Bangladesh, the Government of Bangladesh introduced Online Birth Registration System (BRIS) in the country since October 2010. Now any applicant can formally apply for Birth Certificate online.
As of 2016, Bangladesh amassed a total of 5029 register offices spread across 11 City Corporations and 124 Zonal Offices.
Why is a Birth Certificate required?
- A Birth Certificate is required for many official activities and vital applications. You may need a Birth Certificate to have your Passport issued.
- To have your marriage registered, you will also need a Birth Certificate. Nowadays to have your children enrolled in school may also require a Birth Certificate.
- Birth Certificate is a must-have document for holding employment at public/government services. Many private organizations also mandate that you present your Birth Certificate.
- Also, to apply for your National Identity Card, you will have to enclose your Birth Certificate.
How to Apply for a Birth Certificate?
If it is your Birth Certificate or if you are a parent of the subject of the Birth Certificate for your child, you can order a Birth Certificate in any of the following ways:
- In Person
» Go to your local office of the Registrar General. You will need to fill out a certain application either by hand or printing, then submit the application with designated verifying documents of your birth.
» Go to www.lgd.gov.bd, then apply for a Birth Certificate to your local registrar office. Print out the application and submit it to the Registrar Office in person.
» In either way, you need to bring the form, payment, proof of identity documents to the Registrar Office.
Types of Document you may need to Submit for Registration
- To verify your age and residence, you may need to submit an MBBS Doctor’s, or Ward Councilor’s attestation.
- To verify your age and residence, you may need to provide attestation from the Principal of your current educational institution.
- You may need to submit SSC/HSC certificate for verification purpose.
Where to Register your Birth
You can apply for a Birth Certificate from your permanent residence, current residence or your local residence.
Additionally, Zonal Executives of Dhaka City Corporations for South and North region, Ward Councilors of Chittagong, Khulna, Rajshahi City Corporations, and City Corporation Officers at Barishal, Sylhet, Rangpur, Comilla, Narayanganj can have your birth registered for an official certificate.