A National ID Card, or commonly known as the NID Card, refers to an identity card. The identity card is issued by Election Commission Bangladesh. And, the card is required to be used and carried under particular situations
Eligibility For A National ID Card
Following the Electoral Roll Act, 2009; every citizen who is eligible to become a voter can also be eligible to procure a NID card. Here’s a list of requirements to obtain a NID card:
- Must be a Bangladeshi citizen and residing in Bangladesh
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a resident of an electoral area
- Bangladesh Election Commission can issue only one NID card
- Only registered person may be able to obtain a NID card
To complete the procedure for registering for a NID card, here is a list of information to provide
- Date of Birth
- City or country of Birth
Online Registration Procedure
- A voter must have his/her information recorded at the Bangladesh Election Commission. The information collected about the applicant will be incorporated into designated Registration Forms.
- A person can start his/her registration process online by going to www.services.nidw.gov.bd/new_voter and fill up the form with all the required information.
- All the information except for an individual’s own name has to be typed in in Bangla Unicode.
- After inserting information, scrutinize the form for correctness.
- Print out the form in PDF format and submit it to your local Election Commission.
General Registration Procedure
- The Bangladesh Election Commission proclaims New Voter Registration every year. It usually starts at the end of November and lasts for more than 10 days.
- During the period, a person must register his/her identity at the Bangladesh Election Commission or the designated Election Commission offices.
- After completing registration, the person will be given a slip. The slip should include information regarding the appointment date at the Registration Centers. A person must attend at the Registration Center on the designated day for photograph and data entry.
- Before meeting the data entry operator, the person is usually verified by the designated Data Collection and Local Government Representative.
- After verification, the Data Entry Operator will take the person’s photo, fingerprints and upload the person’s important information into the Election Commission server.
- The printing of draft voter is then created and displayed for the voters to see and amend or lay objections for inclusion, deletion or corrections within 15 days.
- After the correction and updating, a final list is prepared by updating the voters’ database and NID cards are prepared for distribution.
- H.S.C. or equivalent certificate
- Birth certificate
- Passport / Driving license / TIN certificate
- Utility bill copy
- House rent receipt/Holding tax receipt – (as proof of address)
- Citizenship certificate (as applicable)
- Father, Mother, Husband/wife’s ID card photocopy
A National Identity Card is valid for fifteen (15) years from the date of its issuance. But every citizen must re-register at least 6 months before the expiry date of the national identity card.