Last Updated on January 9, 2017 by Aminul Haque Shahin
In modern times, veterinarians are the only doctors educated and provided with the skills to protect the health of both animals and humans. Not only do vets raise awareness for the health and welfare needs of animals, but they also play an important role in food processing & nutrition, protecting the environment, research and public health.
Bangladesh has always offered firm commitment to ensuring quality health and welfare needs of every species of animal. A mission to provide specialists, advisory veterinarians in animal rearing, production and food technology services; Bangladesh developed a world-class veterinary university.
Although there are several public and private universities and colleges in Bangladesh that offer specialized courses in animal sciences, as of 2016 there’s only one full-fledged veterinary and animal sciences university in Bangladesh. And, the name of the university is Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Science University (CVASU).
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University is one of the public universities in Bangladesh. The university has been developing international standard curricula since its inception and delivering top-notch clinical, advisory and diagnostic services. CVASU is located in a scenic area of Chittagong, Khulshi.
Jump To The Right Section
The university, which is now known as Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, was founded as Chittagong Government Veterinary College. It was in the year of 1995-96, which heralded its inception. The college enrolled 50 students for its first academic session. The Faculty of Science of the University of Chittagong provided the affiliation. Following the Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University act, 2006, the college was updated to its current state.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.): five years, including a one-year internship (off-campus work-based learning). The D.V.M. course consists of 25% animal production, 10% social science courses, and the remaining is for veterinary disciplines.
- Sc. Honours in Food Science & Technology (FST)
- Sc. Honours in Fisheries (FF)
- Master of Science (M.S.):
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Food Science & Technology
- Faculty of Fisheries
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Anatomy & Histology
- Department of Animal Science & Nutrition
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Science
- Department of Dairy & Poultry Science
- Department of Genetics & Animal Breeding
- Department of Medicine & Surgery
- Department of Microbiology & Veterinary Public Health
- Department of Pathology & Parasitology
- Department of Physiology, Biochemistry & Pharmacology
Faculty of Food Science & Technology
- Department of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Technology
- Department of Physical & Mathematical Science
- Department of Applied Food science & Nutrition
- Department of Food Processing & engineering
Faculty of Fisheries
- Department of Aquaculture
- Department of Fisheries Resources Management
- Department of Fishing & Post Harvest Technology
- Department of Marine Bio-Resources Science
- Department of Fish Biology & Biotechnology
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University researchers are always looking for ways to develop new methods, so that these methods can help diagnose, treat and prevent animal and people health disorder.
CVASU invests sufficient resources in the field of veterinary education, livestock development, application of advanced molecular methods in diagnosing diseases and preventing them. The university’s research institute collaborated with a number of international projects and organizations, such as: Higher Education Link (DFID), British Council, PLDP, etc.