Last Updated on May 14, 2023 by Aminul Haque Shahin
Bangladesh has several renowned universities that offer quality education and prepare students to compete globally. Some of the best universities in Bangladesh are the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Jahangirnagar University, BRAC University, etc.
Overview of the higher education system in Bangladesh
The current state of higher education in Bangladesh is at a crossroads and filled with various obstacles. The primary method of gaining knowledge at the tertiary level is through higher education offered by different universities and colleges. While some universities perform well, according to the Ranking Web of Universities of July 2021 and the World University Rankings 2022 of Times Higher Education, Bangladeshi higher education institutes do not perform well on a global scale.
Therefore, to ensure sustainable development and growth of the economy, investment in human capital development through quality higher education and training is essential. Colleges and universities have been dependent on traditional economic models to sustain themselves. With the changing economy and the Covid-19 pandemic, there is a need for strong policies like presenting contemporary teaching methods using problem-solving and critical thinking methods.
Higher educational institutes should curate a curriculum that does not follow rote-learning methods and ensure students remain involved and continue higher education. Additionally, the higher education system needs to make amendments in all areas from the basic curriculum planning to the external educational aspects, including investing in state-of-the-art facilities on campus to make the overall educational environment more exciting.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a University in Bangladesh
Bangladesh offers numerous universities for higher education, making it tough for students to choose the best one. Here are some essential factors to consider before making a final decision:
- Location: The university’s distance from the student’s home plays a crucial role in the choice process. Students should choose a university located in a safe and accessible area.
- Reputation: A reputable university with a well-reputed brand has several advantages, including better job prospects and academic opportunities.
- Cost of tuition: One of the essential factors to consider before selecting a university is the cost of tuition. Private universities in Bangladesh are relatively expensive compared to public universities.
- Faculty members: The quality of education depends on the expertise and experience of the faculty members. Students should choose a university with well-educated and experienced lecturers.
- Campus environment: The campus environment matters to students. It is essential to choose a university with a suitable environment to ensure an enjoyable and pleasant experience.
- Extra-curricular activities: Students should choose a university that offers several extracurricular activities such as sports, clubs, and societies.
- Availability of scholarships: Scholarships help students fund their education, and therefore it is essential to check whether the university offers any scholarships and grants.
- Academic programs: Different universities offer different programs. Students must choose a university that provides academic programs tailored to their interests and career goals.
Top Universities in Bangladesh
If you are considering studying in Bangladesh, here are the top universities to consider:
- University of Dhaka: Established in 1921, this is the oldest and best-known university in Bangladesh. It boasts a list of famous alumni, including Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammed Yunus and multiple former presidents and prime ministers of the country.
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology: This is the most prestigious engineering university in the country and is located in the capital city, Dhaka. It offers undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering and technology.
- University of Chittagong: Located in the port city of Chittagong, this university offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines, including law, management, and social sciences.
- Rajshahi University: This University is located in the city of Rajshahi and is known for its strong focus on research and scholarship. It offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines as well as research opportunities.
- Jahangirnagar University: This University is located on the outskirts of Dhaka and is known for its beautiful campus and diverse academic programs. It has a strong focus on the liberal arts and social sciences.
- Bangladesh Agricultural University: Located in the city of Mymensingh, this university is the only specialized agricultural university in the country. It offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various areas of agriculture and related fields.
- North South University: North South University (NSU) is a private university located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was established in 1992 and is one of the top-ranked universities in Bangladesh. NSU offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields, including business, engineering, humanities, and natural sciences.
- American International University-Bangladesh: American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB) is a private university located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was established in 1994 and is accredited by the University Grants Commission of Bangladesh. AIUB offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields, including business, engineering, arts, and social sciences.
- Islamic University of Technology: Islamic University of Technology (IUT) is an international university located in Gazipur, Bangladesh. It was established in 1981 and is a subsidiary organ of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). IUT offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields, including engineering, computer science, and business administration.
Bangladesh’s education system has come a long way since its inception in 1971. With a focus on improving the quality of education, both public and private universities have emerged as vital players in shaping the future of the country. The top universities in Bangladesh have established themselves as leaders in academic excellence and research. These universities have a diverse student body and faculty and employ the latest teaching methods and technologies to provide quality education to their students.