Many students want to pursue a long-lasting career on an international scale. Working in the maritime sector offers an excellent opportunity to see the world and earn handsome salary at the same time. There aren’t that many professions as maritime careers that offer thrill, zeal and a lifetime of experiences that inspires many generations to come.
With all the benefits that a maritime career is adorned with, there comes a heap of responsibility, education, rigorous training and concise understanding of seafaring. Working in the maritime sector is subject to change and offers an exciting opportunity to a person wishing to forge a robust future and reputation as well.
A student pursuing a career in maritime education has to maintain assiduity, discipline, leadership capabilities and high aptitude and analytical abilities. In order to rear a student equipping with all these qualities, you need an institution that is committed, administrative and adept at infusing high-quality knowledge to novices. And, Bangladesh Marine Academy established itself as an ideal institution to promote top-notch education and training related to all spheres of Maritime Industry.
Jump To The Right Section
History of Bangladesh Marine Academy
As Pakistan, comprised of East and West Pakistan, was ceded from India, the then-Pakistan government established several industry-based training facilities. As part of its initiatives, it wanted to establish a maritime academy in a location that could align with strategic viewpoints of the Bay of Bengal.
As a result, the Mercantile Marine Academy started functioning from September 3, 1962. The academy came to fruition after a decade-long subsequent planning, investing and remodeling.
However, when East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) was separated from West Pakistan in 1971, the administration was shifted to Karachi, leaving the institution abandoned. Later Sheikh Mujibur Rahman took initiatives to resume the academy’s function and renamed it as Marine Academy. To date, the academy is known by this name.
Bangladesh Marine Academy has been imparting knowledge for decades. It provides comprehensive education and training programs to produce skilled cadets, deck officers and marine engineers. A student wishing to pursue a career at the Academy must sit for a Written Examination and appear at Preliminary Physical Fitness, Viva-Voce, Color Vision Test and Medical Examination.
- i) Educational Qualifications
- SSC or equivalent (Science) – Minimum GPA 3.5
- HSC or equivalent (Science) – Minimum GPA 3.5
- In HSC, minimum grade for Physics and Mathematics has to be 3.50 individually. In English, grade is to be minimum 3.00. However, if it is less than 3.00, an IELTS score of 5.5 will be accepted.
- A & O-Level:
- A-level certificate in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (Minimum Grade ‘C’ individually)
- O-level certificates in Five subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English (Minimum Grade ‘C’ individually)
- ii) Other Qualifications
- Age limit: Maximum 21 years on 31 December (Year of application). The date of birth is recognized as per S.S.C or equivalent examination certificate. Affidavit will not be accepted. Any candidate found to be of an above age even by one day shall be rejected and no appeal against it shall be accepted.
- Nationality: Candidates must be male or female nationals of Bangladesh by birth or domicile as per national legislation duly certified by competent authority.
- Foreign (male & female) applicants may also apply through their respective Embassies.
- Marital Status: Unmarried.
- Height: Male: 5′ 4″; Female: 5′ 2″
- Weight: Proportionate BMI
Contact Bangladesh Marine Academy
Bangladesh Marine Academy
Phone:+88 031 2514151-6
Fax: +88 031 2514160
Thanks for reading!
Relevant post – How to Join Bangladesh Army?