Last Updated on May 14, 2023 by Aminul Haque Shahin
Some of the best schools in Bangladesh are Viqarunnisa Noon School and College, Government Laboratory High School, Holy Cross Girls’ High School, St. Gregory’s High School & College, St. Joseph Higher Secondary School, Bangladesh International School and College, etc.
Overview of the education system in Bangladesh
The education system in Bangladesh is divided into four levels: primary, secondary, higher secondary, and tertiary education. Primary education is compulsory and free for all children between the ages of six and ten. The curriculum at this level is designed to provide basic knowledge in subjects such as Bengali, English, mathematics, science, social science, and religion.
Secondary education in Bangladesh begins after the completion of primary education and lasts for six years. Students who complete this level are awarded the Secondary School Certificate (SSC). The curriculum at this level includes more in-depth studies in the same subjects as primary education, as well as specialized subjects such as agriculture, home economics, and business studies.
After completing secondary education, students can pursue higher secondary education, which lasts for two years. Successful completion of this level results in the Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC). The curriculum at this level is more specialized and focuses on preparing students for higher education or vocational training.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a School
Choosing the right school for your child can be a crucial decision, and there are several factors to consider before making a final choice. Some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a school are:
- Curriculum: Consider the curriculum offered by the school and see if it aligns with your child’s academic interests and future goals.
- Location: Consider the location of the school and see if it’s easily accessible for you and your child. Also, consider the safety of the area.
- Reputation: Consider the reputation of the school in terms of academic excellence, extracurricular activities, and overall performance.
- Faculty: Consider the quality and experience of the faculty members who will be teaching your child. Check their credentials, experience, and teaching style.
- Facilities: Consider the facilities provided by the school such as library, computer lab, sports facilities, etc.
- Class Size: Consider the class size and student-teacher ratio to ensure that your child will receive adequate attention and support.
- Fees: Consider the fees and any additional costs associated with the school, such as transportation fees, extracurricular activity fees, etc.
- Student Body: Consider the diversity of the student body and the school’s policy on inclusivity and tolerance.
- Parent-Teacher Communication: Consider the school’s policy on parent-teacher communication and how often you will receive updates on your child’s progress.
- Culture: Consider the school’s culture and values and see if they align with your family’s values.
Types of Schools in Bangladesh
In Bangladesh, there are various types of schools that offer different levels of education, curriculum, and teaching styles. Here are some of the most common types of schools in Bangladesh:
- Public Schools: Public schools are government-funded and provide education to students from primary to tertiary levels. These schools follow the national curriculum set by the government and offer education at a subsidized cost.
- Private Schools: Private schools are independently owned and funded, and provide education to students from primary to tertiary levels. These schools may follow national or international curriculums, and usually charge higher fees than public schools.
- English Medium Schools: English Medium Schools provide education in English language and follow international curriculums such as Cambridge or Edexcel. These schools are usually privately owned and charge higher fees than public or Bengali-medium schools.
- Madrasas: Madrasas are religious schools that provide education in Islamic studies and Arabic language. These schools follow a traditional curriculum and are usually privately owned.
- Technical and Vocational Schools: Technical and Vocational Schools provide education and training in vocational and technical fields such as engineering, agriculture, health, and business. These schools offer both certificate and diploma courses.
- International Schools: International Schools offer education in English language and follow international curriculums such as International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP). These schools cater to students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and prepare them for higher education abroad.
- Special Needs Schools: Special Needs Schools provide education and support to children with physical, mental, or learning disabilities. These schools have specialized staff and facilities to cater to the specific needs of their students.
Top Schools in Bangladesh
- Viqarunnisa Noon School and College
Viqarunnisa Noon School and College, also known as VNSC, is a renowned educational institution located in Dhanmondi, Dhaka. It was established in 1972 by Viqarunnessa Noon, an educationist and social activist, with a vision to provide quality education to children from all walks of life. VNSC offers primary and secondary education as per the National Curriculum of Bangladesh and has been recognized for its excellence in education. The institution has won several awards, including the Best Upcoming Educational Institution Award and Indira Memorial Award. VNSC is affiliated with Viqarunnisa College and managed by the Viqarunnessa Noon Education Foundation.
- Government Laboratory High School
Government Laboratory High School, also known as Govt. Lab, is a highly reputable educational establishment located in Mymensingh, Bangladesh. Founded by Muhammad Osman Gani, the school has excellent learning facilities and has consistently produced bright and successful students. Its motto “Alo aro alo” means “light more light”. In 2022, over 222 students appeared in the SSC exam and 97.30% passed with a remarkable 71.17% scoring A+. In JSC exams, the school has consistently achieved a passing rate of 99.57% and a high A+ rate of 39.57%.
- Holy Cross Girls’ High School
Holy Girls’ High School in Dhaka is a renowned missionary school that has been providing quality education to girls for over 72 years. Founded in 1951, it began as a small school with two students and eventually expanded to become a secondary level institution that is recognized by the government. Despite being run by the Roman Catholic Church, the school welcomes students from all religions. Offering education in the fields of business studies, science, and humanities, Holy Cross Girls’ High School has consistently achieved high scores in SSC and JSC exams. The school has also won the Best National School prize twice and has been ranked among the top ten schools in Dhaka.
- St. Gregory’s High School & College
St. Gregory’s High School & College is a prestigious educational institution in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was founded in 1882 by Gregory De Groote, a Belgian Benedictine priest, during the era of British India. The school is now led by Brother Ujjal Placid Pereira CSC as the principal and Brother Leonard Rozario CSC as the vice principal. In its early days, the school catered mainly to European and Anglo-Indian Catholics until the Bengali medium section was introduced after the independence of Bangladesh in 1971. Notably, St. Gregory’s suffered the loss of some teachers and students during the 1971 Massacre by the occupying Pakistani army. The school has a loyal alumni association, The Gregorian Association, founded in 1985. 
- St. Joseph Higher Secondary School
St. Joseph Higher Secondary School is a Catholic school located in Mohammadpur, Dhaka. Established in 1954, it was originally an English Medium International School following the syllabus of the University of Cambridge. However, in 1972 it was transformed into a Bengali Medium Secondary School under the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Dhaka. Under the leadership of legendary Principal Brother John Rozario, the school section extended to college level with English and Bengali versions of Science and Business Studies Sections, and a Humanities Section. The school seeks to impart quality education and develop students who possess the best human qualities and leadership skills while promoting social values and brotherhood.
- Scholastica School
Scholastica School, founded in 1977, is a private English medium school located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The school follows the Cambridge International Curriculum and offers courses for Grade 9 to 12, leading to the IGCSE and A-level qualifications. Scholastica is widely recognized as one of the best schools in the country and is renowned for its strong alumni network. The school offers a complete primary, elementary, secondary, and high school program with laboratory facilities provided for all the science classes. Scholastica also encourages extra-curricular activities such as drama, debating, and public speaking, and has a large number of teacher and student-run clubs.
- Bangladesh International School and College
Bang International School and College (BISC) is a renowned English medium institution managed by Bangladesh Army Headquarters. It was established in 1995 with the aim of providing high-quality educational services in English. The school offers both national and international curriculums for students from Nursery to A-level & HSC. BISC is known for its nurturing and stimulating environment where students are encouraged to develop their individuality and face the challenges of the world. The school has received accolades in various competitions, including the 23rd International Child Art Competition where BISC students won seven gold medals. BISC is one of the top schools in Bangladesh, providing excellent education and preparing students for their professional lives.
- Mastermind English Medium School
Mastermind English Medium School is renowned for their consistent quality results in O-level and A-level exams. Established in Dhanmondi, Dhaka, this institute is well-known for their teaching methods and exceptional faculty. Their mission is to ensure that each student can reach their maximum potential and develop critical thinking skills. The curriculum is designed to meet international standards, giving students exposure to various cultures and perspectives. They have a variety of extracurricular activities and clubs which help students to develop character, leadership qualities, and teamwork. Mastermind English Medium School is a great option for parents who are looking for quality education for their children.
- Maple Leaf International School
Maple Leaf International School is a top-rated English medium school located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It offers education from Playgroup to Grade 12 with the Cambridge curriculum, and its aim is to provide a secure and encouraging environment for learning. The school has five campuses in different parts of Dhaka, with state-of-the-art facilities and experienced teachers. Maple Leaf International School encourages extracurricular activities and community services to develop students’ social skills and confidence. The school has gained an excellent reputation for producing competent and successful graduates who excel in all fields.
- European Standard School
European Standard School (ESS) is one of the leading English medium schools in Dhaka, Bangladesh, with seven campuses across the city. The school started its journey in 2001 and initially offered A-Level education, but rapidly expanded to offer other grades and curricula, including national curriculum and Edexcel and Cambridge syllabuses. The school values trust, respect, compassion, and excellence and is committed to high achievement for all students through excellent teaching. ESS has a reputation for bringing together leading teachers and professors, resulting in students regularly achieving world highest marks in their exams.